Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Open letter to Microsoft about Silverlight. I mean Flash. I mean Silverlight.

Dear Microsoft,

Recently you announced you will support Silverlight applications in your new, to be released, Windows Phone 7 series operative system. That’s great news.

Yesterday you announced a bunch of new products: Visual Studio 2010, .NET 4.0, Silverlight 4. Once again, great news.

Yesterday you also announced and a new mobile phone named KIN. Sadly it won’t support Windows Phone 7 yet, since the OS is not to be released before the holiday season.

Curious about the KIN, I browsed to its official site www.kin.com. Cool site, teenager oriented, lots of Flash animations and interactivity.

Wait, did I say Flash? No, it’s got to be Siverlight of course. Let me just check.

(… me browsing…)

Dear Microsoft,

Being a mature company as you are, I noticed you use Flash technology in some of your sites (specifically the KIN and the XBox web sites). Does this mean that we should be using it in our sites if we want to be successful too?

Thanks in advance.

Yours truly,

Tiago

2 comments:

Mário Romano said...

Flash is legacy. Long live HTM5 and Silverlight.

tiago said...

Microsoft's possible answer to my letter: do as I say, don't do as I do.